Posted on 03-17-2017
Montclair Veterinary Hospital's Care Team is Fear-Free Certified!
What is Fear-Free, you ask? Fear-Free is a body of training techniques and hospital guidelines which have been studied and proven to decrease anxiety and stress for pets when they are at the vet.
How does this affect your hospital experience? Firstly, our technicians are now trained on the most cutting edge handling methods for creating a calm experience for animals.
In addition, we’ll also be sharing our newfound knowledge with you, our pet parents, so that you can take part in fostering a stress-free veterinary visit for your pet.
What you can do before your appointment:
For starters, let the receptionist know that your pet has anxiety about coming into the vet. Consider dropping by the hospital for short “happy visits”: give your pet a treat and hang out for a few stress-free minutes.
If you have a dog:
- Help them feel safe and calm in the car by taking them for “happy car rides”. These are short trips with lots of treats that help make your dog comfy in the car.
- If your dog’s appointment is around their meal time, feed them a smaller amount of food that usual (unless you are medically instructed to do otherwise). The added hunger will make them more responsive to the treats that veterinarians and technicians will offer.
If you have a cat:
- Make their carrier feel as safe as possible before your appointment. Bring the carrier out a week or more before the visit to allow your cat to use it daily as a resting place. You can put treats in to entice them.
- You can also use a relaxing pheromone spray in the carrier and the car, such as Feliway, to promote calmness in your cat.
- Place their carrier on a flat surface—probably the car floor instead of the seat.
Between the training that our technicians are getting and the knowledge that they will pass on to you, we think veterinary visits to Montclair are going to become much easier for your pet. Next time you come in, don’t hesitate to ask any of our staff about this new initiative and how you can join us in making Montclair a Fear-Free hospital!
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.